Idaho is big on recreational sports, so it’s a no brainer that winter sports are highly anticipated throughout the year.
Idaho is home to over 15 ski resorts and winter recreational activity spots, including Bogus Basin, an accessible 45-minute drive from Boise and a highly beloved local spot. Other popular ski destinations in Idaho include Sun Valley, Mountain Village, Brundage, and Bald Mountain, all premier destination spots for Boise residents and travelers.
Explore Idaho’s ski resorts to find your adventure this winter!
Ski Resorts & More From Boise
As social distancing remains highly encouraged, it is important to know that just because you can’t be in a highly-populated area doesn’t mean you can’t be outside –– and just because it’s cold doesn’t mean you can’t remain active.
Breathtaking mountains and outdoor adventure surround Idaho; Find yours at one of these Idaho Ski Resorts.
Here’s a list of some ski resorts and snow recreation spots and how long it takes to get to them from Boise:
- Bogus Basin Resort: 45 minutes
- Gateway Parks: 20 minutes
- Tamarack Resort: 2 ½ hours
- Brundage Mountain Resort: 2 ½ hours
- Soldier Mountain Ski Area: Less than 2 hours
- The Little Ski Hill: 2 ½ hours
- Sun Valley Resort: Less than 3 hours
- Pomerelle Mountain Resort: 3 hours
- Magic Mountain Resort: Less than 3 hours
- Pebble Creek Ski Area: Less than 4 hours
- Kelly Canyon Ski Resort: 4 ½ hours
- Cottonwood Butte Ski Area: 4 ½ hours
- Snowhaven: 4 hours
- Grand Targhee Resort: Less than 5 ½ hours
- Lost Trail Powder Mountain: Less than 6 hours
- Bald Mountain Ski Area: Less than 6 hours
- Silver Mountain Resort: 7 ½ hours
- Schweitzer Mountain Resort: Less than 8 ½ hours
- Lookout Pass Ski & Recreation Area: 8 hours
Schweitzer Mountain Resort
Recreational Winter Sports in Boise
Last snow season, the Boise area resort Bogus Basin received 140” of snow while the McCall area resort, Brundage Mountain, received 213”.
Skiing and snowboarding are some of the most popular winter sports, and many resorts offer classes and training for beginning or looking to advance their skills.
However, the slopes aren’t limited to skiing and snowboarding. Many other recreational activities can be enjoyed that don’t require athletic ability, just pure enjoyment.
Alternative Activities at Idaho Ski Resorts
Where to go Snowshoeing near Boise:
Snowshoeing is a great inexpensive, family-friendly activity. It’s easy to do, it’s a great workout, and it’s a great way to take in the beautiful scenery of Idaho. Here are some snow-covered trails not far from Boise.
- Bogus Basin Nordic Trails
- Star Riverwalk
- Idaho City Park N’ Ski Trails
- Golf Fork Hot Springs Service Road
- Ponderosa State Park
- Magic Mountain Resort
Scenic Snowmobiling Locations in Idaho:
Snowmobiling is an exhilarating and fun way to check out scenic views in Idaho. Check out these 6 locations where snowmobiling will leave you amazed with the views of Idaho.
- Island Park in Anthony, Idaho
- Smiley Creek in Stanley, Idaho
- Burgdorf Hot Springs in McCall, Idaho
- Lolo Pass
- Silver Valley in Wallace, Idaho
- Schweitzer Mountain Resort in Sandpoint, Idaho
Tubing Around Boise
Not only is tubing exciting and fun for all ages, but it’s budget-friendly. While Boise is home to many foothills that gain snow throughout the year, there are tons of nearby spots with ultimate tubing slopes.
Nordic Skiing Around Boise
A variation of skiing, nordic skiing is a cross-country ski sport. A way to travel and site-see, the activity is not only beautiful but allows for a good cardio workout. Here are some places you can rent gear and nordic ski.
- Bogus Basin
- Tamarack Resort
Don't forget to get your gear tuned this season at Glide & Go Mobile! Where they make it simple to prep for your next adventure:
Glide & Go Article