Totally Boise is going plastic free for a week to participate in the Plastic Free July Challenge. This event emphasizes ‘Choose to Refuse’ of single-use plastic. Originating in Western Australia circa 2011, the challenge has now spread to over 150 countries with millions of participants! When Totally Boise became aware of Plastic Free July, we decided to take the next step and learn how to become plastic-free in an affordable and efficient way. With a little research, we discovered easy steps and simple changes to guide us through applying the challenge to our office space. With that, we hope you will join us on July 23-27, 2018 for a week of minimizing single-use plastic in your life to help prevent plastic landfill waste!
Totally Boise Plastic Free Week Sponsors
We will be sharing with you how we are doing throughout the week of following these specific ‘Choose to Refuse’ rules:
- No straws
- We will be using metal or paper straws.
- No plastic water bottles
- We’ll rely on metal, glass, or BPA-free reusable water bottles.
- No plastic bags for food storage
- As mentioned, we are an office and food delivery is our best friend! With this elimination, we’ll be packing brown bag lunches which will help us focus on other healthy lifestyle changes too.
- No plastic utensils
- Step one, we will bring food from home. Step two, we will bring the silverware as well!
- No plastic lids
- If we order coffee to go, we will refuse a lid or bring our own to-go cup
- Recycling the unavoidable
- For some of us, plastic is sometimes necessary, especially when on the go. We will be appropriating orange energy bags in our office to collect all recyclable plastics that cannot be avoided.
Will world pollution no longer be a huge issue? No. Will we be solving the inner workings of climate change? No! However, we are taking the next steps in becoming a more environmental-friendly workplace, that advocates for our planet. We love our city and everything it works on to eliminate waste, and it is time we start doing our part!
For more updates, facts, and possible giveaways (you read that right), make sure to follow along on our social media platforms.
Facebook Instagram Twitter